One of the things I love reading is quotes. I always thought of them as a collection of wisdom. I would like to share with you my friends some great quotes I found about friendship and how I interpret them.
1. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” – Anais Nin
I feel so grateful that I was able to find people in my life that made me realize aspects of my personality and character. Those amazing people that are my friends came along and helped me evolve. A different perspective, a different background, even different habits are all valuable gifts that introduced me to a whole new world.
2. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
There were times in my life that everything around me went from bad to worse. Even my own family had no words to support me anymore. The only thing that they kept telling me was that I failed. That I had to admit it and I should just give up. Only two people in this world insisted that I should hang on and they kept helping me no matter what.
Transform my world
3. “Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.” — Tennessee Williams
I am the one who makes the choices for my life, and of course my friends are also part of my choices. They are there to support me and to help me evolve. Who I am and the way my life has turned out is also the friends I have chosen to accompany me in this ride.
Remind myself of who I am
4. “A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.”– Donna Roberts
There are times that the everyday struggle to survive holds me back from all the things that are important to me. It is then that I tend to forget all those things I should be grateful for. All those things that make me feel happy. I tend to be overwhelmed and frustrated, full of nerves and stress. A good friend is always there to remind me what I am fighting for. Is aware of my goals and when he realizes that I seem to lose my way is alway there to help me find my way again.
No uncomfortable silence
5. “True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.”
— David Tyson Gentry
Being with a person who is truly your friend means that words are not necessary. You can just be there and enjoy the presence of the other person. It feels like magic. You don’t feel the need to talk, but yet you know that you are not alone. There is no need to break the uncomfortable silence because there is no uncomfortable silence.
Always live inside me
6. “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.”— Frederick Buechner
Life itself often separates me from dear friends and family. There are times that I might spend even years away from a good friend. But, no matter where I am, no matter how much time has passed since I last saw him, there are still things I say that make me think of his reaction. There are jokes I say and think of how they would make him laugh. And when we meet again, it is always as if we were together just a few hours ago. Oh, time is so relevant when you think of loved persons that you always carry with you in your heart.
Recognize myself in them
7. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one” – C.S. Lewis
Haven’t you felt that there are times when you meet somebody and you somehow know that you will become friends from the first moment you start talking? This is because we recognize part of ourselves in his /her words. We know how to communicate, and even if we don’t always agree on everything there are those little things that we used to think of as our things which when recognized to another person is the beginning of a new true friendship.
Love my weirdness
8. “Intimacy is the capacity to be rather weird with someone – and finding that that’s ok with them.” — Alain de Botton
When you are with a true friend you feel this kind of intimacy. There is no need to suppress yourself. You can be exactly the person you are, even if it means that you are not what most people call “normal”. True friends are there to accept you just the way you are and that is what they do.
Do you have a favourite quote about friendship?
I would love to read your thoughts.